Tuesday 5 June 2012

Manchester to London

Saturday 26th to Thursday 31st May

Really, I have to get into the habit of writing something every day, or I forget what I did. Some days are completely forgettable, and it's all too easy to do just that. There are almost no photos belonging to this 6 day period, and I have only some hazy memories.

The weekend and Monday and Tuesday were pretty hot, and we concentrated on unpacking and sorting our belongings, or sitting in the garden watching our grandson run about or climb up and down the stairs from the kitchen to the garden and back again.



I wanted to go into the city centre for shopping, but it was really too hot to contemplate staggering round shops, so I left it until Wednesday. I needed a top to wear at a friend's party on Saturday, and a micro-SIM for the iPad, since I knew it would take a while to organise a phone and broadband once we got to Oxted. I have bought 3GB which I hoped will be enough to last me until the Jubilee holiday is over and we can organise broadband.

Thursday was spent by me organising and packing, and by Paul in buying various essentials and trying to solve some car problems. The car is 15 years old now, and we really need a new one as we keep having problems with it, but Paul would like another exactly the same; unfortunately, it's a Peugeot 306 which is a model that hasn't been made for 13 or 14 years, and he can't make up his mind what to have to replace it.

Friday was to be the day we set off to drive to London, but first Paul had arranged to drive our daughter-in-law in the morning to her fortnightly hospital appointment at Manchester Eye Hospital. Since she developed some problems and feared she would be kept in for an immediate operation, he had to stay and wasn't able to return until almost 2. After we had lunched, packed the car and stopped for petrol and a tyre check, it was 3.30 and the traffic was building up. We made a coffe and biscuit stop at 5, and it took us until 8.30 to get to Purley, where we made a very long stop for supermarket shopping; consequently, it was not until 10.30 that we finally arrived in Oxted.

Fortunately, our place was very clean and tidy, and we unpacked the car and started putting everything away. When we went to make the bed, we discovered we had no bedding, which was something of a disaster. Our tenant, thinking the bedding was his, had taken it all. Fortunately, we had some old bedding in storage, so we were able to make the bed and fall into it. I had also failed to find the iron and ironing board, so had the prospect of running about next morning trying to borrow them so I could iron my party clothes before setting off.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment