Tuesday 28 August 2012

End of the Olympics

August 11th to 12th

I see I am catching up fast!

I had been disappointed not to be able to get any Olympics tickets. My sister said she had even stayed up all one night in an attempt to get any ticket at all, but had no joy, so we were determined to be able to see something on a big screen with a crowd of other people, even if we couldn't get any tickets and get in to see an event. She went to Hyde Park, to the big screen there, but she said it was very crowded indeed. I had been to the big screen in the Quad at UCL, but that wasn't huge and we wanted to be in a bigger crowd. So we decided to try the big screen on Blackheath on Saturday afternoon and evening, principally to see the final of the men's 5000 metres race. Blackheath is not far from where my sister lives, so it seemed a suitable place to her - it was a somewhat longer journey for me, but there was nothing nearer. This is when I really miss living in central London. I love the countryside where we live now, but how I miss London!

It was very crowded when we got to Blackheath and there was a fair as well, which I walked round. It was very busy with excited children, in spite of the weather being quite windy and not all that warm. There were some stilt walkers in some quite amazing looking costumes, slightly like dinosaurs and quite frightening I thought.



Watching the race was an experience in itself. I think every single person in the huge crowd must have been supporting Mo Farah, and they all jumped to their feet and screamed in support as he came from the back to the very front and won the race. My sister's friend screamed so much she was quite hoarse the next day.

We so enjoyed the experience that we decided to watch the men's marathon the next day - that's one event you could go and see without tickets. My sister and friends had decided to travel to Cannon Street Station and find a spot there, and we were really lucky because it wasn't too crowded and we were able to lean on the barriers and see all the runners.



It helped that they went past us three times so we got a real opportunity to see how the race was developing.



The three of us yelled loudly in support of Kenya, where we all grew up, though we could see by the second and third time the runners went past us that Uganda was well ahead. Still, Kenya took silver and bronze.

We stayed until we had cheered on all the runners, even those at the very back, then went off to Greenwich where my sister's friend hoped to see some of the sailing boats which were taking excursions down the Thames. Many of the houses were decorated with bunting, since the route from the station is taken by people lucky enough to have tickets.



We paused to admire the newly re-opened Cutty Sark as we went past,



before sauntering along the river and stopping to have a nice lunch beside the river. Watching people sailing along the Thames in a real sailing ship proved, as I had suspected, to be something of a disappointment, since the ships were all rather small, and not running under sail - though some of them did have a small sail up. We went off to wander round the Royal Naval College, which is quite close to one of the Olympic venues. We were able to watch another big screen here for a while, and saw Anthony Joshua win Britain's last gold medal.

We wandered all round the buildings, which were designed by Sir Christopher Wren, and are very beautiful, though it is hard to find the right place to take a photograph. One of the Olympic stands can just be seen right at the back in the middle of my picture, between the two buildings. It was full of spectators lucky enough to get a ticket.



A notice told us the Painted Hall was open, so we rushed off to see it, but it had closed by the time we got there. We were able to get into the Chapel though. It is described as a wonderful example of a complete neoclassical interior, and I fear my photograph - of the organ - cannot do it justice. I need a better camera - and a better eye!



After a long day, I was glad to go home to watch the closing ceremony from the comfort of my own sofa, though I didn't enjoy it as much as the opening ceremony - but then, I really don't appreciate pop music.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment