Thursday 18 December 2014

End of the holiday

Saturday October 18th
Because the last day of our holiday was a day of 6 trains, I resisted writing about it, leading somebody to ask me if I had, in fact, ever come back. So, yes, I did come back from holiday but it has taken me a couple of months to steel myself to write about it - I suppose it depends on how much you enjoy train travel, but I did not find 16 hours spent in trains was all that enjoyable!

We left Kanderstag at about 8am - not the best time for photos - but I did take a last few snaps as we walked the short distance to the station to remind me of the place.

The town is in an almost circular bowl and mountains which surround it are high, as you can see.




I imagine the place is often dark like this because it is completely surrounded by high mountains and the sun only reaches into the valley floor later in the day.

You can see the sun effect in my photo of the station.



The sun is striking the mountain tops, but it'll be a while until it shines into the valley. Although it's a pretty village, I think I might find it quite depressing to stay for any length of time, with louring peaks on all sides and only a few hours of sunlight around midday, when the sun is directly overhead.

Train number one took us to Brig, where we caught train number two to Geneva. From Geneva, train number three took us to Paris.

It was evening by the time we reached Paris, where a coach took us through unbelievably awful traffic (Paris needs a congestion charge!) from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord. After a short time in the very shabby Eurostar terminal, we caught train number four to London. In St Pancras we said goodbye to the rest of our group and went to the other end of the station to catch train number five, a Thameslink train to East Croydon. Train number six took us to Oxted, from where we caught a taxi home, arriving around midnight; I was too exhausted to unpack anything, and we just fell into bed.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment