Monday 6 February 2012

Breckenridge Day 12

Sunday 5th February

Today has been another very cold day, 20 degrees F, so well below freezing. The slopes were very crowded, so I did not think it would be a good day for my first day out on the slopes. I will probably go tomorrow, as long as it isn't snowing. Actually, there hasn't been good snow here this year, for the first time for years. Denver had about 4 feet of snow last week, but it didn't come as far as the mountains.

Because I am still finding it hard to breathe, I decided it would be sensible to invest in a loose pair of ski pants so I have plenty of room to breathe. I repeated yesterday's expedition and caught a bus to the village and then walked down Main Street. Main Street is the oldest part of town and seems to be mostly wooden buildings, so it really is very picturesque.




I tried to take views down the street, but there are too many trees and far too much traffic.

Just off Main Street to the west is the Blue River, which was where gold was first discovered in the area in 1859. The river is iced over at present and covered with snow, so it looks very charming.



There is a river walkway along the riverbank, but most people don't seem to have bothered with it, they've just walked directly on the snow covered ice.

I was successful in buying a loose pair of ski pants, so now I am all set. I also bought a hat, as I failed to find my wooly one in the storage, and the one I have been using kept being knocked over my eyes by the high collar of my ski jacket.

After shopping, I walked back up to the village and caught the bus home, which was a shorter distance than walking home. I was still out of breath though, which is why I probably won't do too much skiing tomorrow. Paul has not gone out either today, as he has a stinking cold. I just hope it's a cold and not my bronchitis and sinusitis.

In the afternoon, one of the other guests here gave us a lift in his car down to the supermarket and back, which was great because it's a longish way down and then up a steepish hill in the ice and snow, and the alternative to walking is to take two buses. The buses stop running around 5, so you need to shop during the day if you want to avoid the walk, and that means missing some skiing.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment