Saturday 18 February 2012

Copper Mountain Day 2

Friday 17th February

I haven't really had a very successful day today. We decided that the climb up the hill to the ski lift we took yesterday was really too much. This is about half of it.



So we were directed to further easy slopes by the recommendation of one of the instructors (who I am looking for to kick with my ski boots on) and we took a different lift, which was much easier to reach.




We went quite high up the mountain, and it all started out as a very easy run. I stopped to photograph the Terrain Park where the snow boarders practice their acrobatics




It's not easy to take the photographs, because they move so fast, so I didn't manage to capture any acrobatics.

Shortly after that, the slope became a lot steeper than I care for.



I had a lot of difficulty getting down it, and had to do a lot of side-slipping. It wasn't so much the steepness of the slope, it was the fact that it was steep for a considerable distance and I found that quite worrying. I can cope with short steep areas, but there seemed no end to this one. Paul has since discovered that there are easier ways down than the one the instructor recommended.

Anyway, it took me a very long time to get down the very long steep slope. After a couple of hours, my leg muscles and my knees had had enough, and I called it a day. I seemed to be very breathless as well, so perhaps my body is not reacting well to going so high up the hill. I'm not sure about tomorrow - it's President's Day weekend and there are likely to be thousands of people on the hill, making it somewhat hazardous.

This afternoon, the Tubing was opened outside our condo. There are four tracks which you slide down on an inflated tube.



You can see one person coming down in my photo, one solitary person dragging his tube back across the photo, and on the right you can see the procession of people walking back up the slope to have another go. There's a carpet or some such thing going up the slope for them to walk on, so they don't slip down backwards. You can probably see the man at the top of each track pushing them off. I could hear them screaming with joy and excitement when I opened the patio door to take the pictures.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment