Thursday 9 February 2012

Breckenridge Day 15

Wednesday 8th February
Well, did manage half a day of skiing today, before my leg muscles gave out. We spent yesterday evening experimenting with my boot linings, bending them and moving them and generally trying to soften them a bit, and this morning, Paul used the hair dryer to warm up the plastic bits so they could be more easily moulded to my feet. This seems to have worked, and my boots are wearable, if not really comfortable. Still, they weren't the agony they were yesterday.
We caught a bus in the morning, up to a place called Beaver Run, where there is quite a choice of green slopes. This is the foot of the main run, down which I shall shortly ski.

I don't ski this part of the run run if there are a lot of beginners or a lot of snow boarders - it's sufficiently steep for people to make mistakes and fall over right in front of you, or get completely out of control and ski into you. If there are lots of people, I choose a quieter route. Incidentally, I took this photo when I was on the lift - those are the ends of my ski poles you can see in the bottom left.
While on the lift, we noticed all the little animal tracks cris-crossing the powder at the side of the piste.

Those are the tips of my skis you can see at the bottom of the picture.
The lift is one of the biggest on the mountain.

It is very popular, because there is a restaurant called Ten Mile Station very close by, so people go there for coffee or for lunch; it is also a useful meeting point.

We didn't stop there today, as I only intended to ski for half a day.
Certainly, by 12.30 I was very glad to ski back to Beaver Run and catch the bus back. After lunch, Paul went out to ski and I volunteered to visit the supermarket. Unfortunately though, I got into the hot tub first as I had cooled down very quickly when we came indoors and was quite cold, The tub was probably too hot, and raised my pulse rate very markedly and I noticed my blood oxygen level was back down to 89%. So instead of walking to the supermarket, I had an hour with the oxygen machine. Poor Paul had to walk to the supermarket instead of me, and it had started snowing, so it was not a pleasant walk.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment