Saturday 25 February 2012

Copper Mountain to Breckenridge

I don't seem to have written anything for about 5 days, so here are some bits to bring us up to date.

Monday 20th February

Monday should, by rights, have been our last day at Copper, and it was also a Bank Holiday. So I decided not to go out to ski until after lunch, when I expected most of the crowds would have gone home. Paul went out on his own in the morning, and skied frightful slopes. He brought me back some pictures, so I could see just what I was missing.

I cannot imagine even walking down this slope in the summer, let alone skiing down it.




I think he took this next photo from the lift, of a slope down which he proposed to ski. I wouldn't even have got off the lift if I'd seen a slope like that!



This shows the sort of slope he likes - steep, with lots of deep snow, and no tracks in it.

He does not, however, go off-piste. He doesn't have an avalanche alarm or an air bag, so he uses the recognised runs.

The runs are groomed by big machines, which you can see in the early morning or the evening.


I went out in the afternoon, and found the higher runs nearly empty, so had a much better time.



I failed to take any pictures because I couldn't get my camera to work, and supposed it was the cold - it was a really cold day. However, when I got back, I discovered the camera was failing to take pictures because I had it switched to 'Display'.

There were still quite a crowd of people on the lower slopes, so coming right down at the end of the afternoon was a bit hazardous, but I managed to avoid everybody - and keep away from the ones that fall over right in front of you.

Tuesday 21st February

This was meant to be our last day at Copper, and check-out time was 10 am. But the owner of the condo had told Paul to ignore the check-out time, as no cleaners would come in until the following day. So Paul decided to take him at his word and have a full day of skiing. He wanted to attend a ski clinic to be told what he was doing wrong. I didn't go out, I concentrated on packing and tidying up, hoping Paul's class wouldn't go on to long so we would be back in Breck to see the Mardi Gras Parade at 4.30. Unfortunately, everybody was enjoying the class so much that it didn't stop, and Paul wasn't back until nearly 4.30.

He hadn't ordered a taxi, and at first we couldn't get one. Copper has no taxi service, and the Breckenridge taxi said they were too busy. Eventually, I found a taxi service in Frisco, and they were able to pick us up about 6.30. So we were back in Breckenridge by 7. Fortunately, we had food for supper and breakfast, so we didn't need to make an immediate Supermarket trip.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment