Friday 10 February 2012

Breckenridge Day 16

Thursday 9th February
We woke up this morning to snow, quite a lot of it. However, visibility didn't seem to be so bad, so I put on all my gear and we went out much earlier than yesterday. The snow was absolutely beautiful because it had been snowing all night, so everything was powder. We caught the bus outside the Inn up tp Beaver Run again. This the restaurant and shop complex at Beaver Run.

The bare Tarmac area is heated, so it isn't covered in snow and slippery ice as you walk over to the area where you can put your skis on. You can probably see it is quite grey and gloomy, though the snow is delightful.
We went up on the big lift again, and I took this picture when it stopped for a few minutes.

You might notice how the upper runs and the tops of the mountains have disappeared in the mist. I wasn't worried about visibility higher up, having been told by the doctor to stick to the lower slopes.
Some of the lifts going higher weren't even running. This is the 'A' Chair, which I have sometimes taken in the past.

This did mean that it was easier skiing to the right of Ten Mile Station, just after you get off the Quicksilver lift; the slopes immediately above it, which would have been served partly by the 'A' Chair were much quieter, so there were no hoards of people coming very fast down the slope without much awareness of the traffic they would encounter at Ten Mile Station.
I was delighted with the wonderful soft powdery snow. I was able to ski reasonably fast and do proper parallel turns. I can only do this when the slope isn't too steep (fear brings back my snow plough) and when the snow is dry and powdery. Paul said he would take a picture of me, but as he had left his camera behind he would have needed my camera, and he couldn't catch me! I was able to do the whole run without stopping, so my body is remembering how to do some things.
We had to stop part way through the morning and go into Ten Mile Station to get hot chocolate, because Paul's hands got so cold. After that, we carried on until lunch time. By 1 o'clock, my legs were aching, so I thought it was time to go home to lunch and for me to call it a day. I don't want to overdo it, and ruin my holiday through injury. After lunch, Paul went out on his own.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment